The Inland Waterways Association of Ireland
Home | Search | About IWAI | Join the IWAI | News and Events | FAQ | Sitemap |

Site Contents

Most Popular

IWAI News & Diary of Events

Chandlery / Buy a Boat

Books, Charts, Guides, ...

Rent a Cruiser

On-line Shannon/Erne Charts

Rent a Barge

Rent for a Day

Photo Gallery

The Shannon Navigation

Wateride Walks

The IWAI Shop

Credits & Copyrights

© 1998-2008 IWAI
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Site Development Team

IWAI Backoffice

IWAI Officer's webmail

Boat Transport

Posted by Brian McGovern
This forum is an archive. These posts likely contain out-of-date information. See above for a link to the active forum.
Boat Transport - (29 May, 2001 23:06)
I have purchased a wooden canal boat in the UK and want to get it shipped to
Ireland in June. I have been quoted Stg1,400 + VAT (which works out at
approx 2,100 Irish pounds) to have it brought from Birmingham to Sallins.
Is this an exorbitant price and can anyone recommend a reputable and
hopefully cheaper transport company?

Regards
Brian McGovern

PS Thanks to Roger Lorenz for his advice regarding the purchase of the
Ottilie and to Brian Goggin for his help in planning my Barrow trip in a
hired barge last year.
Re: Boat Transport - (30 May, 2001 09:03)
Hi Brian.
Did you try Danny Murphy (Cabintrans) 01 4621072 he may be able to help you
.
Regards.
Michael.

>From: Brian McGovern <bmcgov[AG]indigo.ie>
>To: <waterways[AG]iwai.ie>
>Subject: [IWAI] Boat Transport
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:06:57 +0100
>
>I have purchased a wooden canal boat in the UK and want to get it shipped
>Ireland in June. I have been quoted Stg1,400 + VAT (which works out at
>approx 2,100 Irish pounds) to have it brought from Birmingham to Sallins.
>Is this an exorbitant price and can anyone recommend a reputable and
>hopefully cheaper transport company?
>
>Regards
>Brian McGovern
>
>PS Thanks to Roger Lorenz for his advice regarding the purchase of the
>Ottilie and to Brian Goggin for his help in planning my Barrow trip in a
>hired barge last
Re: Boat Transport - (30 May, 2001 12:02)
I 'd say thats a very good price based on my experience

Dave McCabe
Re: Boat Transport - (30 May, 2001 12:34)
Brian

Last week I had my boat moved from Malahide to the Shannon by Frank Whitton.
The service was excellent and he has special boat trailers for boats up to
55 feet. He travels to the UK at least twice each week delivering and
collecting. His contact numbers are 872573834 or 50931022. Hope this
helps.

Tom
Re: Boat Transport - (30 May, 2001 22:05)
Was also going to suggest Whitten haulage - perhaps you could keep the list
updated with what you do get it done for in the end and your experience -
I'd be very interested

Brian & Saundra Walsh
Re: Boat Transport - (31 May, 2001 08:52)
No problem. Whitten charged ?400 Ir Punts to haul a 17ton 42 footer from
Malahide to Lough Key. This worked out cheeper than the cost of taking the
boat around to Limerick on her keel and feeding the fuel tanks and crew, let
alone the time involved.
Re: Boat Transport - (31 May, 2001 21:24)
really meant that Brian McGovern would keep the list informed on his
experiences on trying to arrange transport - but all details are
interesting!

Brian & Saundra Walsh
Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (04 June, 2001 21:32)
We missed the Friday opening of the Ballinasloe marina but the Sunday/Monday
were very good. The marina can cater for about 30 boats of various sizes without
having to double up. The floating jetties are well lit and the area around nice
and tidy with a grassy area for picnics etc. There is a stainless steel
sculpture of a bird(heron?) on a pole as the centrepiece.

The run is a couple of hours from Shannonbridge with new red and black markers
keeping you away from trouble. The the depth gauge stayed well over 15 ft for
most of the trip.

About 20/30 minutes from the town you reach new Pollboy Lock The lock is
completely mechanised and controlled by a full-time lock keeper. One good
feature is that the lock chamber has ladders on either side. The lock chamber is
huge. It seemed bigger than Athlone lock but I'm sure someone has the exact
figures. The sill on the breast gate goes out a few feet into the chamber
though.

One thing you should get when going through the lock is a smartcard key, similar
to the cardkeys on the Shannon-Erne. The cards cost five and ten pounds and can
be used for showers, laundry, pump-out and of course the loo at the marina.. The
cards do not dock units off for using the loo but they are the only way into the
toilets. How long a card is good for we forgot to ask, but they should be good
for a season.

It may be possible to get cardkeys in the town but I am not sure of this.

Close to the marina is a Lidl shop which should be useful to most boaters. They
sell mostly German stuff and some strange hardware items. I got a "Swiss Army"
type knife and some pot noodles and
socks there. I declined to buy the fold-up multi-shovel in combat olive green,
or the vibrating neck collar??
The grocery range is good though with plenry of tinned and dried stuff.

There is a good supermarket (COSMO) on the square in front of the RC church.
They have the full range of Irish groceries.

There is no cinema in the town or shopping centre, but Ballinasloe has a good
pub culture. Egan's was mentioned in dispatches and Declan Egan, the boss
there, was a sponsor of the weekend opening. He and Terry Noone came down on
Sunday evening to see how we were getting on and they gave us a free biro.

The main business centre is about 200 yds from the marina. Athlone is a 20 pound
taxi ride away but we were told there is a regular bus service to Athlone. The
people in the supermarket said it was an hourly service.

There were several hire boats in the marina which bodes well for it's futureas a
hire boat stop-off.

So best of luck Ballinasloe and all who sail to her.

Pete O'Brien
RE: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 16:12)
I would just like to second Pete O'Brien's description of Ballinasloe. We
spent Saturday and Sunday nights there. The harbour facilities are great.
The town has everything that boaters will need, including three banks. Cash
ATMs are otherwise very rare along the Shannon. Lidl have cheap beer and
wine within carrying distance.

I have put up a few pictures at [shannon.mee.tcd.ie]

The locals were taking a great interest in the happenings. It must be
strange for them having had an empty harbour for the last year or so to be
suddenly invaded by us. Without exception all were very friendly and
helpful. The aforementioned Declan Egan was, I think, one of the local
movers behind the project and was down meeting and greeting all weekend.
Incidentally, he also had WI smart cards for sale. Two year old
Shannon-Erne cards were working just fine too.

Apparently the first boat in last week got champers and free beer - don't
know who it was.

The navigation up the Suck is fine. I would have put the depth in places at
less than the 15' mentioned - but no worse than the Shannon above
Shannonbridge. The air draft gauge at the Bord na Mona bridge showed over
4m. available. The section at Coreen Ford is very tight - twisty and
narrow. There is a 5km speed restriction but I would be nervous if a hire
boat novice was coming the other direction. The lock is very quick. The
jetties before the lock are quite short, not a lot of room if a large bunch
arrived together.

On Saturday night the harbour was nearly full and Sunday night was
overflowing. Maybe that amount of activity kept away the stone throwing
element that Nicki Griffin experienced. If anyone does experience
difficulties I would report it to the Garda and any of the local publicans
or shop owners. They want this to work.

For me the highlight of the weekend was a 40 minute set by Paul Weller (The
Jam), in the square on Sunday lunchtime, playing all The Jam favourites -
perfect for the dad-rocker (or mod) in me. Bliss!

/Conor
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 17:29)
I know exactly what Conor means about Coreen Ford. Great fun to go through,
but I had to consciously put out of my mind what would happen were we to
meet another boat. Especially one of the big cruisers full of lads going at
full speed. What would you do in such a situation? Not necessarily the full
speed thing, but if you did meet another boat in one of the very narrow
sections and it was impossible to pass.

The same thing applies after Burke's lock going into Richmond Harbour at
Cloondra. There's no way two big cruisers could pass. Or even a big cruisers
and a skinny little thing like our Freeman. Who has right of way on a
section of canal like this?

I'm really sorry we missed seeing Ballinasloe at it's best instead of just
the stone throwing side. It sounded like a great weekend.

Nicki Griffin
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 19:38)
Nicki asked....

[...]
Who has right of way on a section of canal like this?

The rule is very clear in a river or lake section. Downstream traffic has
right of way.
I assume the logic is that a downstream boat needs to go faster to maintain
steerage whereas an upstream boat can hold stationagainst the flow and still
remain in control.

I'm actually not sure what the rule is on still-water canals like the Grand
or Royal.

Colin
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 22:23)
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 22:35)
At 19:38 05/06/01 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm actually not sure what the rule is on still-water canals like the Grand
>or Royal.

"Where necessary, boats navigating against the stream shall reduce speed,
or stop, to allow clear passage to boats navigating with the stream." (From
Bye-law 20 (2).) That suggests to me that a boat travelling away from the
summit level has right of way.

If the oncoming vessel is the theatre barge *Enterprise*, whether it's
travelling with or against the stream, other boats are advised to go
ashore, climb the nearest tree and arm themselves with heavy weapons.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin (T/F +353 61 377057)
Wordwrights ---- education at work

Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift, 1709)
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 21:20)
We also took a trip to Ballinasloe last weekend, albeit a short one. We
arrived on Sunday afternoon but decided to spend the night down by the lock
instead. This was prompted firstly by the fact that we felt a bit exposed,
being the closest boat to the gangway on the marina (also as a result of
reports on this mailing list last week) but also by the fact that having a
two-year-old on board puts paid to any prospects of nightlife anyway! We
echo what others have said about the harbour, however. There was nothing
down at the marina to indicate that there was a festival in full swing (or
did we miss the signs)? Pity, I would have loved to see Paul Weller!

The least positive note in a great boating weekend was, however, litter.
There were no rubbish bins to be found at Ballinasloe Lock, which seems like
a problem waiting to happen. Shannonbridge rubbish facilities were full on
Monday. Banagher harbour was disgusting, with overflowing bins showing signs
of having been raided by dogs, plastic bags ripped and rubbish trailing
everywhere. (We have also noted the fact that the rubbish collection
facilities in Shannon Harbour don't survive a long weekend either). It
prompts two questions - one regarding the supply of bins by the County
Council and the other regarding the responsibility of boaters not to dump
their rubbish in already overflowing bins, but to look for somewhere else to
deposit it. (That being said, the prospect of transporting full rubbish bags
on board or in the car is none too appealing either!)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best regards

Aileen Flynn
Panjo
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (06 June, 2001 09:22)
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (06 June, 2001 12:36)
So rules and regs will do no good,
This thing needs nipping in the bud.
A strategy we need to make
Tough action is the thing to take.

A net to hang across the stream,
To capture those who come full steam,
These lads all full of wicked glee,
Who put us in such jeopardy.

The netkeeper would have the job,
Of catching every single yob.
To hang them high above the river,
A lesson to every other sinner.

An hour or two should do the trick,
Followed by a good hard kick.
Then send them home in high disgrace,
Never again to show their face.

Shouldn't be too difficult to sort, should it?

Nicki

PS Maybe the Ballad of Eddie Gray could be printed in the IWAI newsletter as
a moral to everyone.
RE: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 22:06)
At 16:12 05/06/01 +0100, Conor wrote:

>On Saturday night the harbour was nearly full and Sunday night was
>overflowing. Maybe that amount of activity kept away the stone throwing
>element that Nicki Griffin experienced. If anyone does experience
>difficulties I would report it to the Garda and any of the local publicans
>or shop owners. They want this to work.

It might be useful to be seen conspicuously taking photos of malefactors.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin (T/F +353 61 377057)
Wordwrights ---- education at work

Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift, 1709)
Floating Brother is watching you !! - (06 June, 2001 11:40)
> It might be useful to be seen conspicuously taking photos of malefactors.
>
> bjg

This, believe ot or not, can be a very effective weapon
I've used it sucessfully myself passing through
Limerick and Dublin

Happy Days.............M
Re: Boat Transport - (16 July, 2001 23:22)
Many thanks to all who replied to my query on arranging transport of a
narrowboat from England. Frank Whitton of Whitton Road Haulage Ltd.
(087-2573834) charged me IR?1,000 which was less than half the quote I got
from a UK based haulier. I also had to pay an English boatyard Stg?152 to
cover craning onto Frank's trailer and also steam cleaning the boat. A
certificate stating that the boat has been steam cleaned is required before
the Irish authorities will allow a boat into the country. I'm not sure if
this is because of Foot & Mouth, Zebra mussels, or some other nastiness.
Frank's charge also covered craning into the canal at Lowtown. Ottilie is a
wooden narrowboat 36' by 7' with a weight of approx 5 tonnes. I got the
impression that Frank's crane wouldn't be able to handle anything much
heavier, in which case another crane would have to be brought in at a cost
of approx ?100.The cranes at Lowtown Marine Services can't be used because
the road is too small to bring a large truck/trailer to that side of the
canal.

I would recommend Frank Whitton to anybody moving a boat from or to Europe
and also recommend Lowtown as the drop off point. Robert and Caroline, the
proprietors of Lowtown Marine Services, were most helpful over the last few
weeks and Robert carried out essential repairs on 2 separate occasions at a
very reasonable cost.

Regards
Brian McGovern

> From: "walsh" <shannon[AG]indigo.ie>
> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:24:48 +0100
> To: <waterways[AG]iwai.ie>
> Subject: Re: [IWAI] Boat Transport
>
> really meant that Brian McGovern would keep the list informed on his
> experiences on trying to arrange transport - but all details are
> interesting!
>

> Brian & Saundra
Woden boat - still looking - (03 August, 2001 21:16)
Hi

We are still on the lookout for a wooden boat about 30ft that would also be
suitable for some coastal cruising. If anybody has any leads in Ireland (we
are constantly scanning UK brokerages) then we'd be very grateful. We plan
to spend up to IR?15k and wouldn't mind something that needed a bit of
work - but we don't really want to take on a major restoration project.

Joe & Nicki Griffin
Re: Woden boat - still looking - (03 August, 2001 21:49)
At 21:16 03/08/01 +0100, Joe and Nicki wrote:

>We are still on the lookout for a wooden boat about 30ft that would also be
>suitable for some coastal cruising. If anybody has any leads in Ireland (we
>are constantly scanning UK brokerages) then we'd be very grateful. We plan
>to spend up to IR?15k and wouldn't mind something that needed a bit of
>work - but we don't really want to take on a major restoration project.

That rules out *La Vague*, then.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin (T/F +353 61 377057)
Wordwrights: writers and editors. We'll make sense of it

Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift, 1709)
Re: Woden boat - still looking - (05 August, 2001 18:30)
Joe & Nicki

As an owner of wood, GRP and steel boats over the past 30 years I think it
advisable to mention that you will find very little for ?15K that is sizable
enough to act as a liveaboard whilst having the capacity to undertake safe
Irish sea passages and provide live aboard comfort. I am aware of vessels
of up to 40 feet (motor sailors) which would suit your requirements. They
are in NI, IOM and UK but because of the mount of work undertaken to restore
them to A1 condition they are double the price you are targeting. Wooden
boats, once into overhaul, are very expensive to restore because of the lack
of local expertise in replacing vital organs within the vessel. In all
honesty I think you are better advised to reassess your objectives. Having
been there, seen it and experienced the costs involved in restoring a wooden
'classic' I am very happy to provide comment (not guidance) in the pursuit
of an ideal wooden boat. In fairness a wooden boat does give wonderful
pleasure but its a full time commitment and only suitable to a liveaboard.
Please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone (00441624-825920) to chew
the cud on wooden boats.

Tom
Re: Ballinasloe - (31 May, 2001 09:43)
Seamus Dooley, Chairman of Shannon Harbour Branch, has asked me to pass on the
message that Ballinasloe U.D.C. will be hosting a series of events around the
new harbour this week-end, commencing with a reception after 6pm on Friday.
There will be a B.B.Q. in Declan Egan's pub afterwards. That's all the detail
I have - I guess we'll have to turn up to find out more!
Regards
Brenda A.
Re: Ballinasloe - (31 May, 2001 15:37)
At 08:43 31/05/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Seamus Dooley, Chairman of Shannon Harbour Branch, has asked me to pass on the
>message that Ballinasloe U.D.C. will be hosting a series of events around the
>new harbour this week-end, commencing with a reception after 6pm on Friday.
>There will be a B.B.Q. in Declan Egan's pub afterwards. That's all the detail
>I have - I guess we'll have to turn up to find out more!

A brief report and photo for the autumn IWNews would be very welcome, if
anyone's going.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin (T/F +353 61 377057)
Wordwrights ---- education at work

Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift, 1709)
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (05 June, 2001 22:26)
Re: Great Ballinasloe First Weekend - (08 June, 2001 10:23)
Aileen
I noticed your comment regarding having a 2 year old on board with respect
to your trip to Ballinasloe. Have you any tips for boating with babies. Ours
is approaching 9 mths and we would hope to take him on the boat later this
year. What is the best type of life jackets to get, what kind of age /
weight range do they cover?
Any other advise welcomed
Regards
John Dolan
Offaly Branch
Baby on Board - (08 June, 2001 23:50)
Hi John,

Our daughter Elise, who has just turned two, had her maiden voyage at 3
weeks, and has been boating regularly ever since. In our experience, the
areas of most concern are:

Safety - not so much a concern with babies who are not yet mobile, but a big
problem between the age of crawling/climbing and the age of sense. We have
two basic rules: lifejacket at all times when aboard or near the water, and
always supervised. This makes locking, mooring etc. a little more difficult
as it is effectively single-handed if there are only two adults on board,
however our 27 foot boat has a centre cockpit with canopy, and our lines are
long enough that one person can hold them from the cockpit, while watching /
holding the child, while the other operates the lock if necessary. We also
find that the engine noise encourages her to sleep well while underway, so
we try to schedule such manoeuvres around her nap-time where possible.

Energy levels - the cramped nature of the boat means that she needs to be
entertained fairly much all the time, and tends to get a bit hyper, so when
we go ashore, at least one of us takes her for long walks / runs / games to
burn some energy! We also try to break fairly regularly and take shorter
trips for the same reason. She is much easier this summer already than she
was this time last year, because she is able to understand and even obey
(occasionally), so the years when they require very intensive attention
while aboard are actually very short!

Hygiene - if you are still sterilising equipment for your son, try to pick
up the sterilising bags which are available in Mothercare - they are
disposable bags with sterilising tablets inside, and can be hung on a door,
hook etc. They take up a lot less space than conventional sterilisers, and
require no electricity! We also learned very early to compromise on baths
while on longer trips, and to use sponges and baby wipes instead. It
certainly never bothered her!

With regard to lifejackets (buoyancy aids), they come in a range of sizes
from newborn upwards. The one she is currently wearing is size 0 -15 Kilos;
she has been wearing this since she was a few months old and is just about
to grow out of this one. They cost in or around ?20. Any marine supplier
will be able to advise you; I think that the most important thing is that it
is designed to turn the child on their back in the water (all of the floats
are in front), and provides good head and neck support. Ours has a large
collar which is designed for this purpose. They should also fasten between
the child's legs to stop them sliding out of the lifejacket. The earlier
your son gets used to wearing his lifejacket, the less of an issue it is
likely to be. Elise loves hers and sometimes wears it at home as well!

One thing that I have always thought would be handy is a good, strong handle
on the back of the lifejackets to act as a hook for a boathook or equivalent
if this ever becomes necessary, but also to carry the child (a bit like a
shopping bag!) while still having one hand free for yourself to move around
on deck if necessary. I used a rope when she was smaller to make a harness
for the same purpose, but also to provide a bit of line to allow her to move
around a bit, while still keeping her under close control. I don't trust the
baby harnesses for this purpose.

Boating is not quite the same leisurely pursuit as it used to be, but it is
still a wonderful family holiday, and offers city kids in particular great
freedom, once a few basic rules are observed.

Apologies to all who are well past this stage, (or not interested in going
there!) for the length of this mail! John, I hope that this helps. Feel free
to contact me again of you have any more questions.

Best regards

Aileen Flynn
Panjo
Re: Baby on Board - (09 June, 2001 08:42)
At 23:50 08/06/01 +0100, Aileen wrote:

>Our daughter Elise, who has just turned two, had her maiden voyage at 3
>weeks, and has been boating regularly ever since. In our experience, the
>areas of most concern are:

[snip good advice]

I vote that (if Aileen permits) we should put this useful advice on the
website.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin (T/F +353 61 377057)
Wordwrights ---- education at work

Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift, 1709)
Re: Baby on Board - (09 June, 2001 12:40)
You are welcome to, Brian!

Aileen
RE: Baby on Board - (11 June, 2001 21:25)

Re: Baby on Board - (09 June, 2001 12:31)
I would second that comment abouts kids on board , less restful, but
infintely more rewarding, and ultimately gives you endless reasons to buy an
increasing number of water toys, RIBS, doughnuts, bodyboards, not to mention
crew to open lock gates, while you sip wine on the aft deck and roar orders
into a walkie-talkie. Very useful , kids.

Dave McCabe
RE: Baby on Board - (11 June, 2001 10:46)
Aileen

Thanks for your detailed reply, our boat has also a central cockpit and a
similar approach can be used, althought in the back of my mind is a slight
concern over having the baby on board in a lock, athought I can see no
alternative with only two adults. I agree with Brian that your advise would
make a great article in the newsletter.

Many thanks again
John
Re: Woden boat - still looking - (04 August, 2001 13:01)
Hi, Joe and Nicki, Bob Maher at Carrybridge has Cuan about 36ft which needs
some light restoration mechanically. She used to be in Strangford Lough so I
assume she would be OK as a coastal boat. She is a beaut but I don't know if
she is for sale. I think she is in Leonards yard (Crawfords marina) at the
moment.Alternatively, an ex royal navy pinnace? Cutter? is at the Moorings
Bellanaleck with a for sale sign on her. I spoke to the owner a couple of
years ago and at that time he would have taken around 10k for her. She
needed minor deck repairs at that time. Alun
Re: Woden boat - still looking - (20 August, 2001 11:21)
Alun

Thanks for the information. We'll contact Bob about Cuan. We have already
seen the other boat and she wasn't for us.

Joe & Nicki
Re: Woden boat - still looking - (20 August, 2001 14:08)
Hi Joe and Nicki.
If you are looking for a timber boat may I suggest the "Argent Brach" .She
is moored at Quigleys marina in Glasson just outside Athlone.She is a 36
foot twin engine carvel cruiser.She has undergone a total re fit from the
keel band to the top of the antenna and she is an example of a timber
boat.Peter Quigley has all the details and you will find him a "gentleman"to
deal with.
Best wishes and good hunting.
Michael Clinton jr.

>From: "Joe Griffin" <joegriffin[AG]eircom.net>
>To: <waterways[AG]iwai.ie>
>Subject: Re: [IWAI] Woden boat - still looking
>Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:21:47 +0100
>
>Alun
>
>Thanks for the information. We'll contact Bob about Cuan. We have already
>seen the other boat and she wasn't for us.
>
>Joe & Ni
Re: Re: Woden boat - still looking - (21 August, 2001 21:58)
Joe,

"Chloe" is a 38' "Miller Fifer" Wooden Twin engine cruiser lying at
The Moorings on Lough Key. It sounds like what you are looking for
and is on the market at the moment. If you are interested I can mail
you a photo.

Best wishes,

Kevin.
Re: Boat transport - (05 November, 2002 11:21)
I think Mike Clinton may have details for Danny Murphy.
Weren't they the firm that did all the work with the 'Rally that came by
Road' in 99 or whenever?
Hugh Skinner

Brian J Goggin
<bjg[AG]wordwrights. To: waterways mailing-list <waterways[AG]iwai.ie>
ie> cc:
Sent by: Subject: [IWAI] Boat transport
waterways-admin[AG]i
wai.ie

05/11/2002 10:17
Please respond to
waterways

I sent some information directly to Ann & Steve Buss last night,
including these boat transport people:

- Michael Barrett 00-353-902-85310 or 00-353-86-823-5197

- James Greally of Tara Transport 00-353-46-25207

- James Lee 00-353-1-8743603 or 00-353-86-8150319

- Sam Mateer 00-353-1-6607652 or 00-353-86-8557329

- Danny Murphy of Cabintrans 00-353-1-4621072

- SMK Transport 00-353-509-51573

- Frank Whitton 00-353-509-31022 or 00-353-87-2573834.

I also have Danny Murphy Transport Ltd listed, but I have no contact
information. Does anyone know it? And is there anyone else I can add
to the list? I'd like to get it on the website.

As far as I know, Michael Barrett is the only one who hmight have
email.

bjg

--
Brian J Goggin, Editor fttb, Inland Waterways News
Stradbally North, Castleconnell, Co Limerick, Ireland

"I love any discourse of rivers ...." (Izaak Walto
Re: boat transport - (12 December, 2002 17:42)
Pat,

I wouldn't be able to give an estimate but you should
be able to get a good rate if you aren't pushed for
time.
Most of the boat transports are the other way around so
if you can double up with someone who is transporting
from the continent to here you should be able to
negotiate a good rate. As otherwise the transport would
only be going over empty.

Regards, Eoin.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, "Pat Flynn" wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> could anyone hazard an educated guess as to the costs
> of transporting a
> 48-ft 23-ton boat from Ireland to the Continent? As
> it's not a serious
> proposition at this point, I don't wish to consult any
> of the transport
> companies,
>
> many thanks,
>

> Pat

Re: boat transport - (14 December, 2002 10:25)
dmck> I've heard of anything from 6000 to 8000 THOUSAND euros ...

Wow Dave - I'd sure like to see your boat (ocean liner), if it cost 6m to
get it transported here - payroll costs for skeleton crew of 50 was it???

Pat have you considered offering a retired crew a few bob, to cruise her to
the continent - it should take 4 to 6 weeks and there are folk who do this
sort of thing as a hobby! Sail cruisers are moved between Ireland and the
med every summer - often for free - enthusiastic sailors delighted to get a
few weeks free sailing done.

Noel

pf>> Hello List,
pf>> could anyone hazard an educated guess as to the costs of
pf>> transporting a 48-ft 23-ton boat from Ireland to the Continent?
pf>> As it's not a serious proposition at this point, I don't wish
pf>> to consult any of the transport companies ...
Re: boat transport - (15 December, 2002 21:33)
Sheeh , Back to the day job

Dave McCabe
Re: boat transport - (14 December, 2002 17:09)
<PRE>jimmy burns at carlingford marina is used to sailing to the med
every year give him a call least if he cant do it for ya he got
lots of good advice
Re: Boat Transport - (02 July, 2003 01:45)
John - try Jim Greally at Tara Transport - phone 046-25207 - he can transport anything up to 50 foot
regards John D

info[AG]heritageboatassociation.com wrote:
Would anyone have a recommendation for a boat transport company, in particular one which is from experience.

Many thanks in advance.

John
John Thompson
GCC 36M
Kildare Branch IWAI
www.iwai.ie
Membership Services
memservices[AG]iwai.ie

1954-2004 50th Anniversary IWAI
36M HBA
www.heritageboatassociation.com
info[AG]heritageboatassociation.com
1804-2004 First trade boat travels Dublin to Shan
Re: Boat Transport - (02 July, 2003 09:38)
Thanks to Leszek and John for the information.

Rgds
John
John Thompson
GCC 36M
Kildare Branch IWAI
www.iwai.ie
Membership Services
memservices[AG]iwai.ie

1954-2004 50th Anniversary IWAI
36M HBA
www.heritageboatassociation.com
info[AG]heritageboatassociation.com
1804-2004 First trade boat travels Dublin to Shann
Re: Boat transport - (28 June, 2005 14:30)
hi brian
one of the most expirenced would be mr frank whittom of kinitty in bir, he specialises in abbnormal loads and would even launch the boat for you .
whitton road haulage 0509 31022/31236
franks mobile is 087 2573834
mick byrne
sunbeam
ferry king

waterways[AG]iwai.ie wrote:

> Guys, I have a 32ft boat coming in from southampton in mid july. I want to
> get it delivered to Longford area, anyone have any good contacts for boat
> transport from the UK? Anyone does this before, and have a handle on what
> it should cost?
>
> Brian

Re: Boat transport - (28 June, 2005 19:26)
Brian

Would be interested to hear how you get on, both with the company you choose and costs. Will be looking at bringing a 35ft over in the autumn.

If looking for a company based 'over there' as an alternative try Beverley Transport. I have used them in the past for transport within the UK. Can't remember their number.

Peter Bentley

Brian Byrne <brian_p_byrne[AG]hotmail.com> wrote:

Guys, I have a 32ft boat coming in from southampton in mid july. I want to
get it delivered to Longford area, anyone have any good contacts for boat
transport from the UK? Anyone does this before, and have a handle on what
it should cost?

Brian
Re: Boat transport - (28 June, 2005 21:17)
That sounds like a very reasonable price.. it's GRP.. care to share the
contact details, he may be able to help me out

>From: Nicki Griffin <nickigriffin[AG]unison.ie>
>To: waterways[AG]iwai.ie
>Subject: Re: [waterways] Boat transport
>Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:08:23 +0100
>
>Brian
>
>Is it grp or timber? We had our timber cruiser brought over by a very
>competent guy from Birr (not Frank Whitton) about 3 years ago. He was
>particularly good with timber cruisers but also regularly transports steel
>and grp boats. It's just that special lifting equipment is needed for
>timber hulls due to loading stresses. We were charged 1600 punts to have
>ours brought in from Poole.
>
>Joe
>Winter Solstice
>
>On 28 Jun 2005, at 14:13, Brian Byrne wrote:
>

>>Guys, I have a 32ft boat coming in from southampton in mid july. I want
>>to get it delivered to Longford area, anyone have any good contacts for
>>boat transport from the UK? Anyone does this before, and have a handle on
>>what it should cost?
>>
>>Bria
RE: Boat transport - (27 October, 2005 14:24)
Oups... I knew I forgot something ...
17 ft

Fred
RE: Baby on board - (11 October, 2007 11:03)
Beautiful Noel, thank you! It put a smile on my face and the faces of
all in my office !